Nintendo conference brings a pink 3DS, ‘Kid Icarus’ delays and some good news for ‘Monster Hunter’ fans
This morning (well, Japan’s morning, anyway) saw quite a bit of interesting news. I’ll hit it in bullet form, if you don’t mind. (My less-than-rudimentary remembrance of college Japanese classes did come in handy.)
- Apparently, enough women aren’t playing the 3DS. What do we do to fix that? Release a pink one, of course. It goes on sale in Japan on October 20.
- Kid Icarus: Uprising‘s been delayed. Again. What was supposed to be a launch title for the 3DS is now coming out in 2012. Maybe it’s secretly for Wii U.
- 3D video capture is on the way for the system! Nintendo showed off some very odd video to accompany that. You may be able to superimpose Mii faces on actual people. Yes, it looks as creepy as it sounds. This update, coming in November, also adds additional puzzles to the Mii Plaza. So yes, you do have a reason to start carrying your 3DS with you everywhere once more.
- Square Enix is rolling out a game with the actual title Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. This is not a joke. The game does involve using the system’s augmented reality features, and comes with its own AR card, if the video shown following the conference is any indication.
- Other titles on the way for 3DS? Animal Crossing, Culdcept, Fire Emblem, Mario Tennis and Paper Mario.
- Nintendo of America have confirmed release dates for Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land: Dec. 4 and Nov. 13, respectively.
- Monster Hunter TriG is officially official. Know what else is? Monster Hunter 4. The entire country of Japan let out a squeal at that moment, I think. It looks like 4 may be 3DS-exclusive. Check out the trailer:
- That weird circle pad add-on has also been priced and dated: 1,500¥ on December 10. The Frankenpad was never mentioned during the conference itself. It is priced to move, however, and several other upcoming games also support it (but don’t require it) — Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D and Resident Evil: Revelations. So, get ready for that thing to come over here to North America — and for a possible fragmentation of 3DS games. The circle pad will also require a single AAA battery, so it won’t add anything to your battery, but it also won’t take away. I guess that’s the least we could ask for.